Qt 5.12 new features
Jani Heikkinen
2018-08-15 04:50:08 UTC
Hi,

Qt 5.12 Feature Freeze will be in effect Mon 20th August and we should have already now pretty good understanding what is new in Qt 5.12. So please update 5.12 new features page here: https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.12

br,
Jani
Jason H
2018-08-16 14:02:36 UTC
5.11 included WebGL TP2. Is there any change? Why is it staying TP2, or should it be TP3?

5.12 looks like it'll be a pretty great update!

I'm not sure what's on the agenda for 5.13... but as I mentioned on interest, one pain point I continually have is the amount of custom platform integrations for mobile. This is one area where Xamrain excels, as they have a simple property on an object you can set to control things like the status bar visibility, the screen brightness, etc. The downside is the Xamarin stuff is all platform-specific so using a iOS property on Android won't work. This is one area where Qt can leapfrog the other platforms including React Native by being cross platform. Anything that doesn't require me to write Obj-C is a very good thing! I figure this would need to be a few Qt Quick/QObject Singletons. Notifications should be supported too, and this could also be used for desktop platform notifications as well. The notifications support would only need to cover being messaged my the platform, and not any display - this would get me out of having to deal with Obj-C almost completely. (My beef wi
th ObjC is other than being not good at it, is whatever I'm writing isn't cross-platform. Java I am more comfortable with, so I complain less, but I still cringe on the non-portability!)

Looking forward to 5.12!

Vlad Stelmahovsky
2018-08-16 14:16:46 UTC
A bit unclear about deprecating QQC1
Since in QQC2 no TreeView and even no plans for this, isn't it a bit too
early to deprecate QQC1?

thanks

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Jason H <***@gmx.com> wrote:

> 5.11 included WebGL TP2. Is there any change? Why is it staying TP2, or
> should it be TP3?
>
> 5.12 looks like it'll be a pretty great update!
>
> I'm not sure what's on the agenda for 5.13... but as I mentioned on
> interest, one pain point I continually have is the amount of custom
> platform integrations for mobile. This is one area where Xamrain excels, as
> they have a simple property on an object you can set to control things like
> the status bar visibility, the screen brightness, etc. The downside is the
> Xamarin stuff is all platform-specific so using a iOS property on Android
> won't work. This is one area where Qt can leapfrog the other platforms
> including React Native by being cross platform. Anything that doesn't
> require me to write Obj-C is a very good thing! I figure this would need
> to be a few Qt Quick/QObject Singletons. Notifications should be supported
> too, and this could also be used for desktop platform notifications as
> well. The notifications support would only need to cover being messaged my
> the platform, and not any display - this would get me out of having to deal
> with Obj-C almost completely. (My beef wi
> th ObjC is other than being not good at it, is whatever I'm writing isn't
> cross-platform. Java I am more comfortable with, so I complain less, but I
> still cringe on the non-portability!)
>
> Looking forward to 5.12!
>
> > Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM
> > From: "Jani Heikkinen" <***@qt.io>
> > To: "***@qt-project.org" <***@qt-project.org>
> > Subject: [Development] Qt 5.12 new features
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Qt 5.12 Feature Freeze will be in effect Mon 20th August and we should
> have already now pretty good understanding what is new in Qt 5.12. So
> please update 5.12 new features page here:
> https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.12
> >
> > br,
> > Jani

Best regards,
Vlad
Mark Gaiser
2018-08-16 15:20:54 UTC
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Vlad Stelmahovsky <
***@gmail.com> wrote:

> A bit unclear about deprecating QQC1
> Since in QQC2 no TreeView and even no plans for this, isn't it a bit too
> early to deprecate QQC1?
>
> thanks
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Jason H <***@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> 5.11 included WebGL TP2. Is there any change? Why is it staying TP2, or
>> should it be TP3?
>>
>> 5.12 looks like it'll be a pretty great update!
>>
>> I'm not sure what's on the agenda for 5.13... but as I mentioned on
>> interest, one pain point I continually have is the amount of custom
>> platform integrations for mobile. This is one area where Xamrain excels, as
>> they have a simple property on an object you can set to control things like
>> the status bar visibility, the screen brightness, etc. The downside is the
>> Xamarin stuff is all platform-specific so using a iOS property on Android
>> won't work. This is one area where Qt can leapfrog the other platforms
>> including React Native by being cross platform. Anything that doesn't
>> require me to write Obj-C is a very good thing! I figure this would need
>> to be a few Qt Quick/QObject Singletons. Notifications should be supported
>> too, and this could also be used for desktop platform notifications as
>> well. The notifications support would only need to cover being messaged my
>> the platform, and not any display - this would get me out of having to deal
>> with Obj-C almost completely. (My beef wi
>> th ObjC is other than being not good at it, is whatever I'm writing
>> isn't cross-platform. Java I am more comfortable with, so I complain less,
>> but I still cringe on the non-portability!)
>>
>> Looking forward to 5.12!
>>
>> > Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM
>> > From: "Jani Heikkinen" <***@qt.io>
>> > To: "***@qt-project.org" <***@qt-project.org>
>> > Subject: [Development] Qt 5.12 new features
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Qt 5.12 Feature Freeze will be in effect Mon 20th August and we should
>> have already now pretty good understanding what is new in Qt 5.12. So
>> please update 5.12 new features page here:
>> https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.12
>> >
>> > br,
>> > Jani

Why deprecate QQC1?
If you aim for a native looking QML application in Windows 7 then QQC1 is
basically the only viable way to go.
I know there is a third party plugin for QQC2 and the QWidgets style (thus
also Windows 7) integration, but it's a third party one [1] and not shipped
with Qt. I have no clue how much of the QWidgets style is supported by that
plugin.

I think it would be nice to not deprecate the only QML way to make native
looking Windows 7 applications in the Qt 5.xx lifecycle.
Or do deprecate it, but offer the plugin [1] from within the Qt installer
as an alternative.

Also, i vaguely remember that QQC1 was meant for integrating applications
in QML with your host OS and QQC2 was targeted at mobile and to be free of
QWidgets to allow for performance improvements.
So they both serve a different target group despite having quite some
overlap in functionality.

[1] https://github.com/KDE/qqc2-desktop-style
Tuukka Turunen
2018-08-23 07:48:02 UTC
Hi Vlad,

While deprecated, Qt Quick Controls 1 is still part of Qt 5.12, so you can continue using it. It’s performance is not adequate for many use cases, and Qt Quick Controls 2 fixed that.

Qt Quick Controls 2 is the one we are actively developing and it adds many nice features in Qt 5.12. TreeView would certainly be a natural addition to Controls 2.

Yours,

Tuukka

From: Development <development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=***@qt-project.org> on behalf of Vlad Stelmahovsky <***@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 16 August 2018 at 17.17
To: Jason H <***@gmx.com>
Cc: "***@qt-project.org" <***@qt-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Development] Qt 5.12 new features

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Jason H <***@gmx.com<mailto:***@gmx.com>> wrote:
5.11 included WebGL TP2. Is there any change? Why is it staying TP2, or should it be TP3?

5.12 looks like it'll be a pretty great update!

I'm not sure what's on the agenda for 5.13... but as I mentioned on interest, one pain point I continually have is the amount of custom platform integrations for mobile. This is one area where Xamrain excels, as they have a simple property on an object you can set to control things like the status bar visibility, the screen brightness, etc. The downside is the Xamarin stuff is all platform-specific so using a iOS property on Android won't work. This is one area where Qt can leapfrog the other platforms including React Native by being cross platform. Anything that doesn't require me to write Obj-C is a very good thing! I figure this would need to be a few Qt Quick/QObject Singletons. Notifications should be supported too, and this could also be used for desktop platform notifications as well. The notifications support would only need to cover being messaged my the platform, and not any display - this would get me out of having to deal with Obj-C almost completely. (My beef wi
th ObjC is other than being not good at it, is whatever I'm writing isn't cross-platform. Java I am more comfortable with, so I complain less, but I still cringe on the non-portability!)

Looking forward to 5.12!

> Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 12:50 AM
> From: "Jani Heikkinen" <***@qt.io<mailto:***@qt.io>>
> To: "***@qt-project.org<mailto:***@qt-project.org>" <***@qt-project.org<mailto:***@qt-project.org>>
> Subject: [Development] Qt 5.12 new features
>
> Hi,
>
> Qt 5.12 Feature Freeze will be in effect Mon 20th August and we should have already now pretty good understanding what is new in Qt 5.12. So please update 5.12 new features page here: https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.12
>
> br,
> Jani

Best regards,
Vlad
Jesus Fernandez
2018-08-17 08:13:15 UTC
Fixed!

WebGL plugin has no relevant changes for 5.12. Some stability & performance tweaks that are available also in 5.11.1.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Jesús