[Development] OpenSSL 1.1.x support on Qt 5.6, 5.9
Valerii
2018-11-12 07:29:15 UTC
Hi All,

Sometime need to use Qt 5.6, 5.9 LTS versions with OpenSSL 1.1.1 (e.g Yocto
2.6 + Qt 5.6)

But Qt 5.6, 5.9 have not supported OpenSSL 1.1.x (OpenSSL 1.0.x only)

We prepared Qt bug https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-71623, but this
issue was closed with "Won't Do" resolution.

We suggest to backport OpenSSL 1.1.x patches from Qt 5.10 to early LST
versions.

We can to prepare patches and upload for qt codereview.

Please let us know about your opinion about it.

Valery.
Thiago Macieira
2018-11-12 08:12:44 UTC
Post by Valerii
We prepared Qt bug https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-71623, but this
issue was closed with "Won't Do" resolution.
We suggest to backport OpenSSL 1.1.x patches from Qt 5.10 to early LST
versions.
We can to prepare patches and upload for qt codereview.
Please let us know about your opinion about it.
The bug report is the answer. You can prepare the patches and even submit
them, but they will not be accepted.

Qt 5.6 is ending its LTS lifetime. 5.9 has another year left, which means it
does not need OpenSSL 1.1 support. According to
https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
OpensSL 1.0 will be supported and keep on receiving security fixes until
2019-12-31, at which time Qt 5.9 will be over two and a half years old.

If you're choosing to stay with an LTS Qt, you should choose to stay with an
LTS OpenSSL. If you want to upgrade other components across major versions,
you should upgrade Qt too.

The next Qt LTS (5.12) has support for OpenSSL 1.1.
Uwe Rathmann
2018-11-12 08:29:43 UTC
Sometime need to use Qt 5.6, ...
Qt 5.6 is LGPL V2, what means the Qt company ( ~= Qt Project ) has a
strong interest in not supporting it - especially for environments where
yocto is made for.

So if your platform wants to make a LGPL V2 offer, a fork is probably
your best option - if not already done by many others.

ciao,
Uwe
Kevin Kofler
2018-11-12 15:56:35 UTC
Post by Valerii
We suggest to backport OpenSSL 1.1.x patches from Qt 5.10 to early LST
versions.
For 5.9 (5.9.2 up to 5.9.6 – for 5.9.1, see the git history):
https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/qt5-qtbase.git/plain/qt5-qtbase-5.9.1-openssl11.patch?h=f27
Enjoy!

But for 5.6, I don't have a patch to point you to, sorry.

Kevin Kofler
Valerii
2018-11-13 06:58:03 UTC
Kevin Kofler,